Thursday 9 November 2017

#BookReview Black Goat Blues by Levi Black @torbooks @Marablaise

Black Goat Blues by Levi Black
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In Red Right Hand, Charlie Tristan Moore was thrust into a nightmarish world of lurking Lovecraftian horrors when The Man In Black, a diabolical Elder God, chose her as his unwilling Acolyte. Discovering her own power, Charlie ultimately defied The Man In Black, but at a cost.

Now armed with a magic coat made from the skin of a flayed angel, Charlie is out to destroy The Man In Black and save her boyfriend Daniel--and she doesn't care how many bloodthirsty gods and monsters get in her way...


************

I was a bit on the fence about this book, if I should read it or not since I hadn't read the first book, Red Right Hand. However, the fabulous cover and my weakness for Lovecraftian stories made me dare to start this book and I'm thrilled to say that the book worked very well, despite that I had not read the first book.

The story in this book takes place some weeks after the story ended in the first book. Charlie defeated The Man In Black, but he's still alive and Charlie goes after him in this book. If you have read the previous book will you know everything that happened in, Red Right Hand, however, if you like me decides to read this one without having read the previous book will it be easy getting into the story Black Goat Blues. Much of what happened in Red Right Hand is mentioned in this book, so it's easy to understand Charlie's plight to destroy The Man in Black and save her boyfriend Daniel. Also, I just want to say that I quite enjoyed the characters around Charlie, like Javier who becomes an important part of the story. And, then we have Ashtoreth, The Scarlet Harlot, Unholy Ishtar, Concubine of Chaos, and Whore Goddess Galore. Yeah, she just like The Man In Black is an Elder God. But, my favorite characters, or creature rather, is the skinhound. Yup, that surprised me too. What is a skinhound? Just imagine a dog skinned and you will get the picture. Sounds creepy I know, but this is a Lovecraftian novel so creepy things are expected.

I quite enjoyed this book and I hope to read book one some day. And, speaking of reading, this book ended with a hell of an unexpected cliffhanger so now I must read the next book!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment